Snowsport England Miscellaneous Information
This page lists various documents produced by or about Snowsport England. Some links are to documents on LSERSA's web site and some are links to other places. Note that many of these documents are on Snowsport England's web site.
Do you want/need to re-register with SSE? Or are you new to Ski Racing?
Click here to register or re-register on SnowSport England's Web Site.
REMINDER: To take part in any FIS races you must register with your Home Nation Governing Body as an alpine performer and have a Full or Limited FIS Licence issued by British Ski and Snowboard (BSS). This particularly applies to all Seniors , U21 & U18 (YOB 1996 and earlier) entering the FIS races at the English, Scottish, Welsh, British Senior, British Junior and BARSC Alpine Championships. There is an "Early Bird Discount" if you apply before 31st July. U16 and younger (YOB 1997 and later) do not require a FIS Licence. See the FIS Licence Registrations page on Britski for more information, instructions and relevant links.
Note: Your FIS Licence Application will not be processed until your Home Nation has confirmed your registration.
LSERSA is generally not responsible for these documents and LSERSA does not necessarily endorse them or agree with the content, except where explicitly stated.
- Piste Extra - Dec 12 : Piste Extra - Apr 12 : Piste Extra - Feb 12 : Piste Extra - Jan 12
SSE and BSS have recommended a complete change to the way our younger skiers race on all surfaces, snow, artificial and plastic.See the two documents produced (both PDF): Proposed Race Structure and Rationale and Evidence
The region will be submitting feedback and it would be good if the views of clubs and members could be included. Please let the Regional Secretary, Sue Vale, have your views, opinions, comments on this by the 14th November.
If we have read this correctly the recommendations are that any racer aged 14 or under will not be able to compete in national races with poles and will only be able to race with stubbies and they should compete in Combi courses using stubbies. Any racer 14 and under will not have any of these races seeded and therefore will not be part of the BARTS list and able to reduce seed points even if they have so far been competing in seeded races. We would imagine this would mean that the race day events could be even longer as several courses would have to set each with course inspection as there will be separate races for the categories of 16 under and all categories 14 and under.
Although the documents state these are recommendations BSS have already implemented this for the British Alpine Championships.
Snowsport England Annual General Meeting
The SSE Annual General Meeting will take place on Sunday 14th October 2012 at SportPark, Loughborough University.
The future of Alpine Racing in the UK
Snowsport England's Alpine Ski Committee ran two open meetings in Stoke-on-Trent and Hemel Hempstead on the 21st & 22nd July 2012 to discuss the future of Alpine Racing in the UK. Minutes of the meetings have been published along with a copy of the presentation given by Paddy Mortimer:
If you would like to know more or comment on this information please email Andrea Grant who is Chairman of the Alpine Ski Committee, or otherwise contact her.
- Piste Extra - Dec 11 : Piste - Dec 11 : Oct 11 : Brochure : Aug 11 : Jul 11 : Jun 11 : Apr 11 : Mar 11 : Feb 11
SnowSport England, SnowSport Scotland and SnowSport Wales have come together to bring a new dimension to the home nations summer racing programme.
The exciting new series will create two champions, one for the traditional artificial outdoor slopes and one for the indoor snow facilities.
The series will replace the current Celtic Cup and Grand Prix series.
- Snowsport England's office will move from Halesowen to Loughborough at the end of August 2011. See the Press Release for more information and a FAQs Document which explains the reasons why.
Snowsport England, the governing body for snowsports in England, has launched a new travel insurance scheme specifically designed to meet the needs of its coaches and competitive snowsport athletes. It also covers your normal recreational skier as well.
The policies can be bought online via a secure website www.snowsportenglandinsurance.com or over the telephone on + 44 (0)1732 853 192.
Snowsport England Annual General Meeting
The SSE Annual General Meeting took place on Saturday 18th June 2011 at SportPark, Loughborough University.
It was well attended, several reports were given and two new directors, Adam Pinney and Jeremy Eaton were elected. Dan Hardie and Jemima Barnes who had been co-opted during the season have also been confirmed as directors.
- Sport England with partners have launched Places People Play Olympic Legacy programme and require input to their "Inspired facilities" sub-programme. Please see the details in a note from Susie Moore and return your input to her by 26th April.
Sport England are yet again conducting a survey to find out about your experiences when taking part in sport, so they can get an up to date picture. Please take part from a snowsport perspective and spread the word and encourage others to do so as well.
The information that is gathered from this survey affects the decisions that are made nationally and used to shape how Sport England supports the recognised sports in England, with programmes and funding. This is your opportunity to show Sport England how popular snowsports are in England.
The survey will establish how satisfied you are with the quality of your sporting experience when taking part in snowsports. To become part of this project and help shape the future of sport in England, please click on this link: www.ipsos-mori.com/Snowsportclub.
Susie Moore has recently started at Snowsport England as a Sports Development Officer for the South, taking over from Vicki Pullin. She was at the recent Committee meeting and intends to come to all future ones.
In this item on Snowsport England's web site, she provides some background about herself and an insight into her job.
The minutes of SSE Council meeting in June 2010 contain links, on the SSE website, to presentations about the facilities strategy given at the AGM which followed the Council meeting. Any queries should be directed to Tim Fawke at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Snowsport England is looking for 3 new Board members. These are voluntary positions on the Board of Snowsport England. For more details, including how to express an interest, click here.
- LSERSA committee members are involved in the SSE working groups looking at Profile and Participation. Gwenderlyne Southall and Andy Proudlove (acting as Skier-cross rep as well as for LSERSA) will be involved with Peter Stratton looking at Profile and Sandy Telling is joining the working group led by Jennifer Denning (SSE Finance director) looking at Participation. For more details click here.
- Nominations are now open for the Snowsport England Club and Volunteer Awards 2010. The deadline for nominations is Friday 1st October 2010 at 5pm. The annual Snowsport England Club and Volunteer Awards will be presented on Saturday 30th October at the 2010 British Ski + Board Show. For details and nomination forms see SSE news item
- Sandy Telling and Gwenderlyne Southall attended the SSE Inter Regional meeting held at Gloucester on 27th June 2010. You can read the minutes by clicking here.
- Snowsport England have a package of deals including discounts on ski equipment, ski holidays and ski/travel insurance, including the Ski Club standard insurance package. Click here for details. Many of the benefits open to anyone as long as they belong to a ski club affiliated to Snowsport England.
Snowsport England Strategy, Whole Sport Plan and Regional Projects as of 30 March 2010.
This useful guide to the rules of Ski Racing was first written by Ian Roberts and published by Snowsports England in 2007. This is Version 4 published in January 2010.
Even if you think you know what Ski Racing is all about please read it - you'll find it a useful reminder. If you are new to Ski Racing, you'll find it invaluable.
Last updated: 15th January 2015